get creative outdoors!
Workshops For Visually Impaired Children And Families
SAT 15TH APRIL '23 - workshop day
SAT 17TH JUNE '23 - workshop day
SAT 30TH september '23 - crunch! performance
WESTONBIRT ARBORETUM, TETBURY
We are currently planning the next stage of this project with local families who have taken part in our workshop days in 2022/23. Please check back for updates on events in 2024. If you want to join us in the future, please get in touch by emailing [email protected]
We are inviting visually impaired children and their families (aged 5-13yrs old and in the Gloucestershire area) to take part in outdoor creative workshops in 2023.
Join us on a unique adventure where you will:
- Connect with nature at the magical Westonbirt Arboretum
- Have fun with guided walks, activities & interactive performance
- Enjoy creative and mindful time as a family
- Meet other families in safe, supportive environment
Interwoven with audio description, the events are co-designed with Visually Impaired dance artist and facilitator, Holly Thomas. Holly is co-delivering the event on 15th April. On 17th June, the event is co-delivered with guest artist Dougie Walker.
Last year, seven families joined us on two event days. Watch a short film (below) showing some of the best bits!
We are inviting more families to join us for our next events – read on for all the details!
WHAT'S INVOLVED in the workshop events?
You’ll do creative things as a family like treasure hunts in the woods, den building, creating artworks and playing movement & music games! There will be different activities on offer which cater for both younger and older children, and activities that the whole family can do together.
Artists will support you to create your own ideas and join in with the group. As well as meeting other children and families, you’ll have your own time to explore Westonbirt Arboretum.
Children taking part are invited to:
- Communicate what works / doesn’t work for them as a visually impaired participant,
- Interact and engage with the other children (sometimes in smaller groups to cater for different ages)
- Make creative choices independently, with their families and the whole group.
RECENT FEEDBACK FROM FAMILIES
“The audio description made the performance come to life more for her (child) but as a dyslexic adult it did the same for me too.”
“It was a very happy, relaxed day & a lovely opportunity meet other VI families in a pressure free setting.”
VENUE & pRACTICAL DETAILS
- The events take place 10:30am – 4pm, at Westonbirt Arboretum, Tetbury, GL8 8QS.
- Saturday 15th April and Saturday 17th June – you can book onto one event or both!
- Information about getting to the Westonbirt site will be sent to confirmed families.
- Travel bursaries are available upon request.
- The event is free to attend. Supporter payments are optional – any income raised goes back into the project and future activities.
how to get involved
If you and your family are interested, we would love to hear from you and talk more about it!
Phone: 07870 998481
Email: [email protected]
We’ll have an initial discussion about what you can expect from the event so you can make sure it is right for you.
We look forward to hearing from you!
For the past 3 years, we have been working with Holly to create outdoor experiences in nature for visually impaired and sighted children and their families. Holly’s lived experience has been the fundamental starting point when we have been creatively exploring the best way to describe dance performance for visually impaired audiences. (More about Holly in the audio clip below)
Holly has worked as a lecturer in performing arts for the RNIB and has taught dance to visually impaired adults and young people. She is also a member of the Bristol Sight Loss Council, Arts and Leisure sub-group.
More broadly, our company and our work have over 25 years in working with inclusive groups from children and young people to adults, disabled people, people with mental health conditions and people with complex needs.